I love baking with vegetables. I already tried desserts with sweet potatoe and with red beet. Last week, my friend Tine sent my a baking recipe with pumpkin she found on the blog of the “groenemeisjes”, two ladies who want to live “more green”. I changed the recipe a litte bit: I made the recipe gluten- and refined sugarfree. The “groenemeisjes” call the baking “brownie”, but for me the baking has more the texture of bread pudding, so I chose the term “pumpkin cake” to name this dessert.
- 600 g. pumpkin (I used one butternut pumpkin)
- 10 medjoul dates
- 150 g. buckwheat flour
- 50 g. raw cacao
- 1 TS of baking powder (glutenfree)
- Mixed spices (cinnamon, allspice, ginger, clove); “koekkruiden” in Dutch
Preparing time: 1hr (30 m. preparing + 30 m. in the oven)
How to prepare:
- Preheat the oven on 180°C.
- Week your dates in hot water.
- Cut the butternut in pieces (you can keep the peel) and cook them until they are soft.
- Blend the soft pieces with the weeked dates to a paste.
- Mix the flour, cacao, baking powder and a little bit of mixed spices.
- Combine the paste with the mix to a dough.
- Put in an oven scale.
- 30 minutes in the oven and ready!
This pumpkin cake is not very sweet, so for the sweet lovers, I would recommend to lubricate some chocolate on top of the cake.